ApacheCon has featured a number of events commemorating the 10th anniversary of the founding of The Apache Software Foundation. We’ll be featuring “asf10years” events throughout the year, culminating with some very special stuff at ApacheCon US 2009 in Oakland, 2-6 November.
Some of the 10th anniversary items we’ve posted this week include:
Note: there’s a delay of several days, but our video streaming partner Linux Magazine will be putting all the video content (free and paid) into their archive. Stay tuned for a note when it’s available in the archive, but several of these talks are definitely worth watching again.
Tip: there will also be a video or two of us – all the ApacheCon attendees – signing Happy Birthday to Apache.
Quick note: if you can’t attend ApacheCon, you can still watch the free live video streaming of our Keynotes and lunch talks! Other technical tracks are available for a fee. Remember: all times are from Amsterdam (CET), so Wednesday’s keynote “Data Management in the Cloud” with Raghu Ramakrishnan of Yahoo! starts at 09:30.
If you don’t have your badge yet, registration will open at 08:00 in the main conference area of the hotel, upstairs from the lobby, and sessions start at 09:00 on Wednesday.
If you’re already at ApacheCon, I’m jealous – I hope you’ve been enjoying the trainings, Hackathon, and BarCampApache this year, along with the stellarly attended Meetups this year!
Along with the many data feeds about the ASF and ApacheCon, please be sure to check out the new official blog of the ASF at http://blogs.apache.org/foundation/, hosted on our own Apache Roller blogging platform, of course! Many thanks to our infrastructure volunteers for setting up our blogging system.
Can only make ApacheCon for one day? Coming all week but want to plan out what you’ll be doing? Can’t make it at all, but want to see the live video streaming we’ll have available?
We’ve done an even better job than before in focusing our tracks each day, so you can pick and choose, and know you’ll be getting a strong selection of talks on specific topics.
Morning Keynote: Data Management In The Cloud
- OSGi and Geronimo
- If we did any more on OSGi – all the way from quickstart, to real-life tales, to Geronimo management – we’d have to call ourselves Eclipse.
- Data Mining and Search Technologies
- Come hear about one of our most wildly popular projects – Lucene – and it’s many related search and data processing subprojects.
- Business and Community
- You don’t need to wear a suit – in fact, most people won’t. It’s an excellent resource for how our technology – and communities – fit into the larger ecosystems we live in.
- Geeks for Geeks (Focus: Hadoop) (Live video stream)
- You know you want to be here. Grid your Hadoop on the cloud in the cluster with a Pig in this highly technical track. (Yes, a Pig!)
Wednesday evening features the delicious opening reception with a celebration of the 10th anniversary of the ASF, as well as BOFs afterwards.
Afternoon keynote: Open sourcing the analyst business â€“ turning proprietary knowledge inside out
- Tomcat for Developers and Administrators (Live video stream)
- This grandkitty of Servlet containers and JSP’s is as popular as ever – learn the details here.
- Service-Oriented Architecture
- Use your Synapses to figure out the right ServiceMix for your enterprise.
- Business and Community
- This day of biz/community talks is for everyone, and shows how to get community done right.
- Geeks for Geeks
- Thursday’s afternoon of G4G gets into some cutting edge tools. (Note: pony not included.)
Thursday features our ever-popular Lightning Talks, my personal favorite event of anything ApacheCon.
- HTTP Server Administration (Live video stream)
- Just what it says: hardcore httpd learning from people who helped write it; security & advanced topics.
- Builds and Clouds
- As the ASF and it’s projects grow, so do it’s build management tools.
- Java Development
- Get your java weenie hat here. Yes, that’s a good thing. Along with all the overviews, I want to see the Shindig.
- Geeks for Geeks
- Can you handle a third day of G4G?
Stay for the end of Friday, where we have a Closing Plenary and Raffle – with a number of prizes you definitely will want to win.
Have a better description of one of our tracks? Let us know here!