James Duncan Davidson – a longtime ASF member and past speaker, now photographer – has some excellent tips in his post “Dear Speakers“. There’s also a lot of great commentary there about improving public speaking, especially in a geeky or tech-y crowd.
Be sure to read the comments, there’s some great discussion going on there. And note these are great tips both for regular session speakers, as well as for any public speaking. And there are plenty of opportunities for you to speak at ApacheCon in our other special events.
- Sign up for BarCampApache (Monday)
- Go to a MeetUp (Mon & Tues nights)
- Submit a BOF (Wed & Thurs nights)
- Give a Lightning Talk (Thurs night)
- Really learn how to be a public speaker: attend the Media & Analyst Training session(s) on Monday (requires registration fee). Sally does an excellent job of teaching open source geeks (and everyone) how to communicate better.
(This is one of a series of catch-up posts; it’s really less than 2 weeks until ApacheCon!)